Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart
A few years ago in a tiny Parisian flat with the help of a Parisian pastry sous-chef, I found myself making my first chocolate tart. I vividly remember the smell of the dough in the oven, the caramel on the stove, and the chocolate melting in a water bath. It had such an irresistible smell and of course I was impatient to devour the tart, but was given a warning to wait until It cooled off. When you are making this, while it’s cooling off, make yourself a little apéro or else you will be tempted to indulge into it immediately.
While running errands on a Saturday afternoon we realized World Market was having a promotion on all Lindt chocolates. As you may know by now, we love using Lindt chocolates for entertaining and baking, so we decided it was the perfect opportunity to make some Salted Caramel Chocolate Tarts mmmm! I know it sounds quite appetizing and we love the combination. The salted caramel, dark chocolate, and caramelized almonds are exactly what you need right now.
Seriously how beautiful is this dough!
Quite frankly you just can’t have too much chocolate in your life and when life gives you chocolate, you must make chocolate desserts!
Of course we want you to play chef and create this tart to take to a dinner party or simply a party to share with everyone. That’s why we will share the recipe with you, and you can tell us how yours turns out when you make it.
It’s always best to pair your chocolate dessert with a nice bottle of champagne or prosecco. It makes it even more special (at least that’s what we like to believe).
We used our pate sable dough recipe (Tart dough) and what’s special about this dough is the rich texture from the butter. It almost feels like a crumble. In order to obtain this, you need to mix the flour and the sugar in cold water and then incorporate the butter. We will give you more details in the recipe. The perfect dough, the constancy of the caramel and the quality of the chocolate you pick are a game changer for the tart, so please select your ingredients carefully for a great flavor. We topped ours with coconut ice cream. It added a tropical vibe to our tart since we are rejecting the idea of summer being
This recipe has satisfied our palettes for decades and we truly hope they satisfy yours as well.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart
List of Ingredients
For the tart pastry dough:
- 250 g or 8.8 oz of unbleached flour
- 125 g of 4.4 oz cold European butter
- 5 to 10 cl or 1.6 to 3.3 oz of water
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of sugar
For the caramel:
- 250 g or 8.8 oz of sugar
- 100 g or 3.5 oz of European butter
- 17 cl or 5.7 oz of heavy whipping cream
For the chocolate ganache:
- 200 g or 7.05 oz of dark chocolate
- 15 cl or 5.07 oz of heavy whipping cream
- 30 g or 1.05 oz of butter
1st step: Tart dough prep
1. Mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Work in the cold butter until mixture is the consistency of coarse meal.
2. Add the egg yolk.
3. Progressively add the water to the mixture until it comes together to form a ball.
4. Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch of thickness
5. Grease your pan with butter and dust with some flour.
6. Place the dough in the pan and line with parchment paper.
7. Add dry beans or baking beans to prevent the dough from rising.
8. Bake the tart at 180°C or 355°F in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes.
9. Carefully remove the dry beans/baking beans (they will be hot).
10. Return the tart to the oven for 5-10 min to allow the base to cook properly.
11. Let the dough cool for 10 min.
2nd step: Caramel sauce
1. Put sugar in a non-stick pan over low heat.
2. In the meantime, bring the whipping cream to a boil.
3. Do not stir the sugar as it caramelizes. Cook it slowly until it has a golden color and then stir if there is any sugar left.
4. Over low heat, carefully and gently add the cream gradually to the caramelized sugar, stirring with each addition. The mixture will bubble as you add the cream to the caramelized sugar. Continue this process until all the cream has been incorporated into the melted sugar.
5. Still over low heat, add the butter.
6. Remove from the stove and stir until the butter has fully melted.
7. Let the caramel cool for 10-15min before pouring into the tart.
3rd step: Ganache
1. Place your chocolate in a mixing bowl.
2. Heat the cream, butter, and salt to a boil.
3. Pour the hot mixture into the chocolate, and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thoroughly combined.
4. The consistency should be delicate.
5. Pour the mixture on top of the caramel.
6. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
4th step: Caramelized almonds
1. Melt sugar into a non-stick pan over low heat until it turns a golden color.
2. Dip your almonds in the caramelized sugar until completely coated. Remove almonds from mixture and place on parchment paper to cool.
3. Decorate the tart with the caramelized almonds.
4. Finally enjoy!!